Civil Marriage Useful Information – Documents required for your civil marriage or for your civil union

Our ‘Imperial’ Wedding Celebration Room Montreal – For MORE PHOTOS


Civil marriage Montreal celebrate civil unions and weddings at Montreal (Quebec), Laval,Longueuil, Brossard, North-Shore, South-Shore and area. If you have decided to get married, you are surely not only in love, but you are also responsible and ready to engage from a social point of view.

Aside from the ceremony itself, which you can organize as you wish, the purpose of civil marriage is to strengthen your union, and to get the necessary document which attests your relationship – the marriage certificate.

In case your ceremony is officiated by a notary, he will have you sign the marriage or civil union declaration. As it is a mandatory document for the ceremony, the marriage or civil union declaration is necessary for the Register of Civil Status in order for it to draw the marriage certificate and to inscribe it in the Register of Civil Status in Quebec.

Once it is registered in the Register of Civil Status, this document becomes proof of the marriage and it allows the spouses to come into possession of a certificate or of a copy of the marriage certificate.  If you choose a notary marriage ceremony, you will have to sign the statement before him, so that he will be able to send it to the Register of Civil Status.

Before signing the declaration during the ceremony, the notary organizes a previous first meeting during which he ensures that both people meet the requirements of the law for the civil marriage. He will check whether the two people are at least 18 years (or if between 16 to under 18 years of age, with authorization from the court), single (or divorced, or widowed) and that they also have the capacity to give their consent in writing.

Documents required for your civil marriage or for your civil union:

  • Your original birth certificates – for those born in Quebec, this document is issued by the Office of the Register of Civil Status
  • Two valid official identification papers and one of them must include a photo and a signature (for example, your driver’s licence, passport or health insurance card)
  • A document proving your home: driver’s licence, invoices, bank statements, etc.
  • Divorce certificate (or irrevocable divorce judgment), if applicable
  • The original death certificate of former spouse, if applicable

If one of the future spouses is not born in Quebec and the documents are in a language other than French, the original documents should be accompanied by an official translation made by a member of the College of Certified Translators, Terminologists and Interprets of Quebec.

Once this information and data have been collected and validated by a major witness who knows both people who are getting married, the notary may publish the bans, more specifically a notice to be posted at the nearest courthouse and at the place where the marriage will be celebrated with at least 20 days before the date of the civil marriage or civil union.

The purpose of this notice is to inform everyone of the upcoming marriage and to allow the notary to be alerted if there are conditions that can prevent the ceremony to come (a relationship between the two future spouses which is banned by the law, a previous undissolved marriage of one of the spouses, etc.).

Once all these formalities have been completed, the notary will explain to you the use of a marriage contract, in particular for the choice of a certain matrimonial regime, donations for the spouse or children, and finally for the dispositions in case of the death of one of the partners.

Me Leopold Lincà, Montreal’s notary wedding officiant, will be pleased to welcome you in his office and to put at your disposal his skills in order for you to get all the necessary information.


Contact us now!