How to get married at the Courthouse?, Civil-marriage-montreal-notary-wedding-officiant-celebration-civil-marriage-wedding-room-Montreal-wedding-hall-montreal-courthouse-wedding-civil-marriage-Quebec-3-24.jpg

Enjoy the sophistication of the “Imperial” Room for Civil Wedding Celebration in Montreal, and our charming garden. See more photos, by visiting

How to get married at the Courthouse? CIVIL MARRIAGE/ WEDDING – Make a civil marriage at the Montreal Courthouse (Palais de Justice). How to get married at the Courthouse? If you wish to marry civilly or to unite civilly soon, you do not know what are the steps to follow? Contact us. To get married at the Courthouse, you must contact the civil marriage service available at the Courthouse( Palais de Justice) at the following address: Civil Weddings Courthouse Notre Dame East, Montreal, Québec H2Y 1B6.

– First, each of the future spouses must fill out a form offered in PDF format before going to the first interview to request that the date of their marriage be fixed when it is celebrated by a clerk or an assistant court clerk.

– You must make an appointment with the marriage service with a clerk, you must go with a witness who must accompany you during a first appointment (not necessarily one of the witnesses who will be present at the wedding.)

What are the necessary documents to provide for a civil marriage or civil union in Québec?

The documents required to get married are as follows:

– You must provide the following original documents with the Civil Marriage questionnaire:

– If you were born in the province of Quebec: A birth certificate that you will have obtained from the parish, from municipal authorities before January 1, 1994; after January 1, 1994; a birth certificate obtained from the “Directeur de l’état civil du Québec“:

L’État Civil
2050 De Bleury 6e étage
Montreal ( Quebec ) H3A 2J5
Phone:  ( 514 ) 864-3900

If you were born in a province other than Quebec: A birth certificate from the provincial registrar’s office; the birth certificate which comes from the parish is not accepted.

– If you are divorced: The irrevocable divorce judgment or the divorce certificate.

– If you are a widower: A death certificate issued by the parish or a declaration of death (S.P.3.) Issued by the funeral director or a burial or cremation certificate issued by the cemetery authorities.

– If you were born in a country other than Canada: A birth certificate which you will have obtained from the authorities of your country.

– If you obtained your divorce in another country: A certified copy of your final judgment.

The officiant / celebrant must

– Check the identity and marital status of the future spouses and ensure that they have consent if one of the two is a minor.

– Ensure that the future spouses are both able to give free and informed consent.

– Check if there are links of consanguinity between the future spouses.

– If the two future spouses are free from any previous marital relationship

– Publish the date and place of the wedding by posting.

– Inform future spouses that they may require a medical examination

Consult us, the notary is able to answer all your questions.

Contact us now!

With these photos, we present some of our happy married couples who made the excellent choice to have their civil marriage celebrated by the Mtre Leopold Lincà, Notary