Is it possible for a foreigner to marry in Quebec / Canada?, civil-marriage-1.jpg

Enjoy the sophistication of the “Imperial” Room for Civil Wedding Celebration in Montreal, and our charming garden. See more photos, by visiting

Celebrate your marriage with a foreigner in Quebec – Is it possible for a foreigner to marry in Quebec / Canada?

Celebrate marriage with foreigner. The law doesn’t require to be permanent residence  or Canadien citizen to get legally married in Canada. To answer the question very briefly, yes, it is possible to legally marry a non-resident in Canada or a non-Canadian. Marriage across Canada, of which Quebec is a part, is governed in terms of its substantive conditions by the Federal Civil Marriage Act ( This law does not impose any conditions of citizenship or residence on a person to legally marry in Canada.

Our office offers the service of celebrating a marriage with a foreigner (if one of the spouses is non-Canadian). You will discover in this article that yes, it is possible to celebrate a marriage with a foreigner, the conditions and the documents that the future non-Canadian spouse will have to provide. Contact us at 438-383-3116 if you have any questions about celebrating a civil marriage with a foreigner

Documents to be provided by a foreigner to marry in Quebec

The future spouse who is not a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident must provide his valid passport with photo (or the documents given to him / her by the immigration authorities), the original of his / her certificate or birth certificate, as well as civil status documents, if applicable (divorce certificate, etc.). The birth certificate or birth certificate must mention the parents’ names and be written in French or English; if the document is written in a language other than French or English, it must be accompanied by an official translation, preferably made by an OTTIAQ member translator (

Marriage between a Canadian citizen / Canadian permanent resident and a foreigner (with a tourist visa – visitor visa or asylum seeker, or even in pending legal status in Canada)

Celebrate your marriage with a foreigner in Quebec – Marriage in Canada is an option available to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to marry a foreign partner. However, you do not need to be a citizen to get married. But, you will still need to meet the requirements of the province you choose to marry. Each province has its own requirements.

For more information on marriage with a foreigner:

Civil Marriage Act

Civil status director

Protection against marriage fraud

Consult Me Leopold LINCÀ, your notary of choice, trusted source of information, celebrating civil weddings in Montreal

Direct line: 438-383-3116

Do you have any questions about civil marriage? Quickly meet Me Lincà to get precise answers to all the legal questions you are asking about civil marriage.

Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice or opinion. For a legal advice adapted to your situation and before deciding, you are advised to consult a notary

Contact us now!