Is it necessary to have Quebec recognize a marriage celebrated abroad?
Insofar as the marriages celebrated abroad were celebrated in accordance with the laws of the country where the celebration took place and that the marriage also respects the rules for marrying in Quebec, marriages celebrated abroad are recognized in Quebec. Recognize in Quebec a marriage celebrated abroad. These marriages can of course be registered in the Civil Status Register by making a request to the Director of Civil Status of Quebec and presenting the original of your foreign marriage certificate; thus, you will have the right, thereafter, to ask the Director of Civil Status of Quebec to send you a document which will state your marriage celebrated abroad.
How to insert a marriage certificate celebrated abroad in the Quebec civil status register?
Recognize in Quebec a marriage celebrated abroad. To insert the marriage certificate obtained abroad in the Quebec civil status register, the spouses must be domiciled in Quebec and present the original marriage certificate or a certified copy to the Director of Civil Status. If the document is not written in French or in English, the original or copy must be accompanied by an official translation in French or in English by the Order of Certified Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters of Quebec (https: / /ottiaq.org/). It will be advisable to insert the marriage certificate obtained outside Quebec in the Quebec civil status register in order to facilitate certain procedures with Quebec departments and agencies, but it is not mandatory, it is not a requirement for the marriage celebrated abroad to be recognized in Quebec.
The documents required for the insertion of a marriage certificate celebrated abroad in the Québec civil status register
For the insertion of a death certificate(see: Request for insertion in the Québec civil status register of a civil status document made outside Québec ; http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/publications/FO-16-23%20Application%20for%20Insertion%20of%20an%20Act%20of%20Civil%20Status%20Made%20Outside%20Quebec%20in%20the%20Quebec%20Register%20of%20Civil%20Status.pdf):
the following documents must be included with the application:
- the original document certifying the marriage or civil union issued by the officer of civil status of the country or province in which the marriage or civil union took place (original copy of an act or certificate of marriage or civil union or any other equivalent document certified to be a true copy);
- a certified true copy issued by a Court office regarding a previous divorce judgment or an annulment of marriage or dissolution of civil union, if applicable;
- the original documents certifying the births of the spouses issued by the officers of civil status of the countries or provinces in which the births took place, if the spouses were born outside Québec (original copies of the acts of birth or birth certificates or any other equivalent documents certified to be true copies);
- a photocopy of a valid photo ID of the applicant;
- a photocopy of a proof of home address of the applicant;
- a photocopy of a proof of domicile in Québec of the person concerned by the act to be inserted if that person is not the applicant.
- The Directeur de l’état civil examines each application received. Following examination, the Directeur renders a written and substantiated decision.
For more information, see: http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/fr/insertion-acte.html
Consult Me Leopold LINCÀ, your notary of choice, trusted source of information, celebrating civil weddings in Montreal
Direct line: 438-383-3116
Do you have any questions about civil marriage? Quickly meet Me Lincà to get precise answers to all the legal questions you are asking about civil marriage.
Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice or opinion. For advice adapted to your situation and before deciding, you are advised to consult a notary.
Contact us now!